Romanov Empire - Империя Романовых
Romanov Empire - Империя РомановыхHistorical Society - Историческое ОбществоСанкт-Петербург, Россия
  • homeHome
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
Kholomogory

Kholomogory

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x392
  • save_altMedium1024x627
  • save_altOriginal1379x844
description

Summary

Kholmogory was first mentioned in the charter charter of the Novgorod prince Svyatoslav Olgovich 1138 as the Novgorod "Ivani-Pogost".

The name of Kholmogory (originally Kolmogory, Kolmogorsky town) is contained in the charter of the Great Moscow Prince Ivan Kalita to the Dvina rector "for Kolmogory" - 1335.

In 1492 from Kholmogory came to Denmark by sea the sea caravan with grain for sale in European markets and with the embassy of Tsar Ivan III.

In 1553, near the Nikolo-Korel Monastery on the island of Yagry, the crew of the ship "Eduard Bonaventura", commanded by skipper Richard Censor, landed by the London Moscow Company to find the Northern Sea Route to China landed. Chancellor was warmly received in Kholmogory by local voivode Feofan Morozov and sent for talks in Moscow. As a result, the Moscow company obtained a monopoly on trade with Russia through Kholmogory up to 1698. In the 1560's, the British opened in Kholmogory in cable cars (manufactories) for processing raw materials (hemp) in place. The heyday of Kholmogory is at the end of the XVII century, when all the trade of Russia with Western Europe was going through Arkhangelsk.

In 1613 a quadrangular wooden kremlin with five towers was built; On December 8 of the same year, the Kremlin successfully withstood the siege of the Polish-Lithuanian army.

After the creation of the Kholmogory diocese (1682), its first chapter, Archbishop Athanasius (Lyubimov), arrived in the city, which launched a stormy construction activity in stone. The cathedral Savior-Transfiguration Cathedral was built with a bell tower, the ensemble of the bishop's house. The same time is dated to the parish church in the nearby village of Matigory.

At the end of the 17th century, Kholmogory became one of the centers of Russian icon painting. A kind of folk craft is developing - the Kholmogory carving on the bone.

In 1762 the episcopal chair was moved to Arkhangelsk, and Kholmogory began to decline. In 1744, Kholmogory was elected the place of final reference to the family of the deposed Russian emperor John VI Antonovich. His father Anton Ulrich of Braunschweig, mother Anna Leopoldovna ("the ruler of Russia", that is, the regent under the overthrown emperor in 1740-1741), as well as their daughters Ekaterina and Elizabeth, were brought here. Already in the Kholmogory exile, two other children were born: Peter and Alexei. Anton-Ulrich died in Kholmogory in 1774, where he was secretly buried. The "Braunschweig family" left Kholmogory only in 1780 (with the permission of Empress Catherine II left for Denmark).

Холмогоры впервые упомянуты в уставной грамоте Новгородского князя Святослава Ольговича 1138 как новгородский «Ивани-Погост».

Название Холмогоры (первоначально Колмогоры, Колмогорский городок) содержится в грамоте Великого Московского князя Ивана Калиты двинскому посаднику «на Колмогоры» — 1335 года.

В 1492 году из Холмогор вышел в Данию морским путём морской караван с зерном для продажи на европейских рынках и с посольством царя Ивана III.

В 1553 году близ Николо-Корельского монастыря на остров Ягры высадился экипаж судна «Эдуард Бонавентура» под командованием шкипера Ричарда Ченслора, направленного Лондонской Московской компанией для отыскания Северного морского пути в Китай. Ченслор был тепло принят в Холмогорах местным воеводой Феофаном Морозовым и направлен для переговоров в Москву. В результате Московская компания получила монополию на торговлю с Россией через Холмогоры вплоть до 1698 года. В 1560-е годы англичане открыли в Холмогорах в канатные дворы (мануфактуры) для переработки сырья (пеньки) на месте. Расцвет Холмогор приходится на конец XVII века, когда вся торговля России с Западной Европой шла через Архангельск.

В 1613 году выстроен четырёхугольный деревянный кремль с пятью башнями; 8 декабря того же года кремль успешно выдержал осаду польско-литовского войска.

После создания Холмогорской епархии (1682 год) в город прибыл её первый глава, архиепископ Афанасий (Любимов), который развернул бурную строительную деятельность в камне. Были возведены кафедральный Спасо-Преображенский собор с колокольней, ансамбль архиерейского дома. Тем же временем датируется приходская церковь в близлежащем селе Матигоры.

В конце XVII века Холмогоры становятся одним из центров русской иконописи. Формируется своеобразный народный промысел — холмогорская резьба по кости.

В 1762 году архиерейская кафедра была перенесена в Архангельск, и Холмогоры стали приходить в упадок. В 1744 году Холмогоры были избраны местом окончательной ссылки семьи свергнутого российского императора Иоанна VI Антоновича. Сюда были доставлены его отец Антон Ульрих Брауншвейгский, мать Анна Леопольдовна («правительница России», то есть регентша при свергнутом императоре в 1740—1741 годах), а также их дочери Екатерина и Елизавета. Уже в холмогорской ссылке родились двое других детей — Петр и Алексей. Антон-Ульрих скончался в Холмогорах в 1774 году, где был тайно похоронен. «Брауншвейгское семейство» покинуло Холмогоры только в 1780 году (с позволения императрицы Екатерины II выехало в Данию).

date_range

Date

1890 - 1915
create

Source

Romanov Empire - Империя Романовых
copyright

Copyright info

No known copyright restrictions

Exploreцерковь

Exploreхолмогоры

Explorekholmogory